Residents, authorities quarrel over lockdown, window hours
Authorities and residents in some Batangas towns have been at odds since the implementation of a lockdown due to the threats posed by the Taal Volcano.
Lemery, Agoncillo, Laurel, Balete, Sta. Teresita, Talisay, Taal, Tanauan, and San Nicolas in Batangas were placed under lockdown last Sunday to keep residents from returning to their homes in the 14-kilometer danger zone.
The barangay captain of Janopol Occidental in Tanauan got into a heated argument with one resident who was seeking to return to his home.
"Siyempre ayaw makinig, pagsabihan, makikipagtalo. Ay, magkakainitan pagka gay’on,” he said in a 24 Oras report by Ian Cruz on Wednesday.
Authorities continue to monitor areas on lockdown for residents who insist on staying inside their homes.
“‘Yung iba po nagtatago e hindi namin agad makuha. ‘Pag nagwangwang po kami, takbuhan,” said Airforce Reservist Ponciano Bautista.
Over 234,000 Batangueños were affected by the eruption of the Taal Volcano last week, some 131,000 of whom are currently in evacuation centers according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council. —Julia Mari Ornedo/LDF, GMA News
Need a wellness break? Sign up for The Boost!
Stay up-to-date with the latest health and wellness reads.
Please enter a valid email address
Your email is safe with us