No casualties in Alabang mall fire, operator says
The operator of a shopping mall on Sunday said there have been no reported casualties so far from the fire that broke out in its establishment on Saturday, but appealed for patience and understanding as it awaits results of the ongoing investigation.
In a statement released Sunday, Starmall Alabang said the fire broke out before dawn on Saturday, January 8, 2022. It was declared under control on the evening of the same day.
“While we are saddened by the turn of events, we are thankful also that there were no reported casualties,” the statement read.
Latest information from the Bureau of Fire Protection - National Capital Region (BFP-NCR) indicate that the fire was declared control at 7:03 p.m. on Saturday. GMA News Online has reached out to the BFP for updates, but no information was immediately available.
The BFP earlier estimated the initial property damage at P100 million, with at least five people injured.
Starmall acknowledged the efforts of the firefighters and volunteers who helped in putting out the fire, which the management said was “commendable.”
“For our tenants, proper coordination will be made to look into your concerns. We appeal for your patience and understanding as we wait for the results of the BFP investigation,” it said.
“For our loyal customers, we vow to rise above the adversity and come out stronger than ever to be able to serve you better,” it added.
Starmall Alabang is under the Villar Group’s Vistamalls Inc., which operated a total of nine malls as of December 2020. Shares in STR closed January 7 down 2 centavos or 0.54% to P3.70 apiece. —KG, GMA News