CPP sets Duterte’s downfall as goal for 50th anniversary next year
The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has set the downfall of President Rodrigo Duterte as its goal for 2018, and ordered its armed wing to go after the "death squads of the Duterte regime" in addition to their usual targets.
The CPP gave the order to the New People's Army (NPA) in connection with the celebration of the party's 49th anniversary on Friday.
"The NPA must intensify guerrilla warfare throughout the whole archipelago, launch tactical offensives against units of the AFP, PNP and attached paramilitaries, as well as punitive operations against the worst plunderers and corrupt officials, political and crime associates, and death squads of the Duterte regime," the CPP said.
With eyes on its 50th anniversary next year, the CPP said it plans to "build the broadest united front to overthrow the US-Duterte regime and its rule of fascist terror."
"The Filipino people are suffering gravely under the Duterte regimes fascist tyranny, all-out economic liberalization and bureaucratic corruption," the CPP said.
They cited issues such as Duterte's "terror-tagging" of the NPA, his administration's brutal war on illegal drugs and the alleged human rights violations linked to it, the imposition of martial law in Mindanao, the jeepney modernization program, and alleged attacks against minorities.
The CPP warned of a "growing peasant movement" in the country under Duterte's rule, and urged its members to stage more demonstrations in 2018.
"Mass struggles have been carried out by workers, homeless people, jeepney drivers, students and other sectors. Duterte’s plans and maneuvers to establish a fascist dictatorship have been met with increasing mass demonstrations over the past few months," it said.
The CPP said these are mere "dress rehearsals for bigger protest demonstrations to come."
The CPP Central Committee also called for bolstered efforts to fulfill other tasks such as increasing the number of its branches in rural areas, the consolidation of concrete tactical plans and training more members among young people and basic sectors.
"Let us train more and more Party cadres and promote young cadres by conducting a thorough and comprehensive study and training program," it said.
The CPP had earlier declared a holiday ceasefire, from 6 p.m. of December 23 to 6 p.m. of December 26 and from 6 p.m. December 30 to 6 p.m. of Jan. 2, 2018.
The government's declared holiday ceasefire, meanwhile, is longer -- from 6 p.m. of December 23 to 11:59 p.m. of December 26 to 6 p.m. of December 30 to 11:59 p.m. of Jan. 2, 2018. —KBK, GMA News
Duterte lambasted the NPA for allegedly violating their own ceasefire declaration by reportedly "harassing" a military patrol base in Compostela Valley on Christmas Day. —KBK, GMA News
Need a wellness break? Sign up for The Boost!
Stay up-to-date with the latest health and wellness reads.
Please enter a valid email address
Your email is safe with us